This is our level 1 event for our “Beginner to Advanced Backpacking Series”. This is a learning event that features an introduction to backpacking and hiking and an afternoon hike through a local park where we put into action some of the basic skills that we will cover. Your instructor will cover:
- The “10 Essentials of Hiking”
- Basic Backcountry Navigation
- Wilderness Travel – Basic Routefinding Skills
We will spend about an hour going over the three topics followed by a 3-mile hike through nature where we will reinforce the basics that were covered. A map of the route we will take is provided. You will need to bring:
- Good athletic shoes or hiking boots
- Water or sports drink
- Small pack to keep your hands free
- Something to take notes on.
We usually meet under the large pavilion across from the Acadiana Park Nature Station Trailhead next to the roundabout. See map for details.